TITLE: MODERN TEA & BANANA GROWING – AUGUST 2018
Target Group: 30 extension workers from 15 districts in western Uganda namely; Bushyenyi, Buhweju, Sheema, Mitooma, Mabarara, Rubirizi, Isingiro, Ibanda, Kiruhura, Ntungamo, Kabale, Rubanda, Kisoro, Kanungu and Rukungiri
The 6th In-Country Training on Enterprise Development was aimed at building the capacity of sub-county extension workers to assist farmers enhance banana and tea production and marketing for increased household income.
- Equip extension workers with knowledge about modern banana and tea production and best practices in profitable marketing.
- Equip extension workers with skills on how to carry out hands-on training sessions with banana and tea farmers.
- Introduce and discuss in detail the concept of banana tissue culture in relation to changing climate.
- Introduce and discuss in detail the concept of planting quality tea seedlings for better tea yield.
- Enhance the skills of extension workers in group dynamics, business skills and group marketing
Summary of the training
The course, which consisted of both theoretical and practical/hands-on training sessions, was conducted using participatory approaches in order to equip the trainees with practical skills to enable them put into practice the knowledge acquired during the training. Resource persons also used participatory approaches by giving exercises, which participants did in groups.